Sunday, February 28, 2010

I Smell Bacon....

I'm going to open up this entry with a confession: I'm really just complaining on this one, and to be honest I'm not going to do research or behave myself. I whole heartedly admit that I'm just ticked that I got a ticket for a seemingly stupid reason at a very suspect time.

Now that that part is done, go ask a cop about a ticket quota. I remember when I was in High School they had a couple of cops come in here and again to do "educational" presentations. They would field a lot of general questions, and then there would always be that one kid who finally got the idea to ask "Hey, officer, what's your ticket quota?". The officer would always do the same thing, rock back on his heals, get a little grin, shake his head ever so slightly and say "That doesn't exist". Every one would nod, smile and get together after class to discuss how he was lying about the whole thing.

Now what brings this up, you ask? Friday I was out and about running some errands and more or less goofing off before I got to lunch with my wife. I was leaving a parking lot, and waiting to turn when I spotted one of "Olathe's finest", rolling along in his spiffy modified Dodge Charger. The look on his face while he drove was one of near complete slack jawed, numb boredom. This wasn't a surprise to see a cop roaming around bored, considering that on the way to the store they had sprouted up everywhere. I had seen at least 4 cops in the span of 2 hours. Some may say that that's not a lot, but here that's odd, after all, it's Kansas, there's not a lot that happens. As he drives past me, I see his eyes flick over and scan my car. I assume he's just looking, until his face lights up like a Christmas tree and he suddenly doesn't look so bored. At that moment, I knew I was going to get pulled over, the only thing I couldn't figure out was what for. My car is legal, plates are up to date, I have insurance, I haven't even been pulled over in several years despite the rumors that I'm a psychotic driver (I've been told I drive like a grandma, just without the good qualities like going super slow, just the bad ones like forgetting where I'm at and which lane I'm in). So I pull out of the parking lot after the officer has passed by, and the dance begins as he tries his hardest to get in behind my car.

I pull in behind the police car, after all, I know I'm getting pulled over already, so I may as well just play dumb until he turns his lights on (this is my jackass reflex). Meanwhile the officer, who had stopped a good 20 feet before the stoplight we were now at, moves to the left and I pull next to him. Out of the corner of my eye I can see him, almost giddy with excitement, glancing over and checking out my car more. Once again, I wonder what on earth he could be looking at, but shrug it off because ultimately, as far as I know, I've done nothing wrong. The light changes, I go, he delays and pulls in directly behind me, even feeling the need to turn his lights and sirens on for me for the 10 feet it takes me to stop. However, I'm so ready to be pulled over at this point that I just pull over next to the curb. I look in the rear view mirror and see him scowling (my jackass sense is tingling) and motioning to pull off the main road. I pull off and go into the next parking lot, stop at the curb again, park and turn off the car. Now the first time I stopped I may have been slightly leaning towards some jackassery, but this time I was trying to be serious and not dig a hole for myself. I look back and see a bigger scowl as he turns on his PA system and instructs me to move to a parking spot in said parking lot.

After finally getting to a spot the officer was happy about, I roll down the window and wait. He approaches and tells me the reason for him pulling me over is that my windows "appear to be too dark". This is a surprise to me due to the fact that we've had these windows for 3 years now and never once had any issues. The officer produces a small electronic meter from his belt and slides it on the window, then informs me that the tint is indeed to dark. He takes my information and returns after a short wait with a ticket for $96.00, gives me the instructions on how to take care of it, and advises me that if I get the windows either stripped or re-tinted the court may overturn the ticket.

He leaves, I call my wife and tell her what happened, and on the way home pass another 3 cops parked off the side of the road and 2 more with some one already pulled over.

This all brings me to my point: If there is a ticket quota, they could really do more to hide it rather than showing up in force at the end of the month. If there isn't, then why is it the only time I see that many cops out on the road is at the end of the month?

Like I said at the beginning of this, I'm complaining. There is absolutely no rational thought to this whole thing, and I could be a million miles off, and I'm totally willing to admit that. You have to admit though, next time it gets to the end of the month and you start noticing more cops out than usual, it'll make you wonder.

3 comments:

  1. Well as NWA so perfectly said "Fuck tha Police"

    ReplyDelete
  2. there is a ticket quota at the end of the month, i know a cop and he has told me so....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just as a follow up thought to all this: http://consumerist.com/2010/03/nypd-officer-says-he-has-arrest-ticket-quota.html

    ReplyDelete